Challenging the barracks!
MONDAY FEBRUARY 15th, 7pm-8.30pm
An online event from Hastings Community of Sanctuary, HCoS Campaigns Team, and Hastings Supports Refugees
With special guest Clare Moseley, founder of Care4Calais
INFORMATION AND WEBLINKS
Please write to our MP for Hastings and Rye Sally-Ann HART: [email protected]
Or your own MP.
Points to consider:
- Ask her to write the Home Secretary to convey your concern about the use of the barracks
(She is obliged to do this if requested)
- Urgent concerns have been voiced by medical, religious, legal, and migrant support groups.
(See https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bishops-home-office-asylum-seekers-barracks-b1800319.html; https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/nov/26/medical-staff-urge-priti-patel-to-close-barracks-housing-asylum-seekers; https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/army-barracks-asylum-seekers-lawyers-home-office-b1766308.html: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/barracks-housing-asylum-seekers-are-cramped-and-unsanitary-234657/)
- The barracks have become a locus for extreme racist activism and rhetoric.
- Detaining people seeking asylum is unlawful.
- The community in Hastings has learned over 20 years as a dispersal centre to welcome and respect people seeing asylum. There is deep dismay here at this treatment of hundreds of vulnerable people.
Follow Care4Calais here: https://www.facebook.com/care4calais/
Follow HCoS on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HastSanctuary
Follow Hastings Supports Refugees here: https://www.facebook.com/hastingssupportsrefugees/
and join Hastings Supports Refugees Group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1653085608261243
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Doughty Street Chambers Webinar: Fantasy Island? The new rules on the admissibility of asylum claims and third country removals, 3/2/2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Ay5_g-gz0
Sources of press coverage and discussion of asylum accommodation, with examples
About Napier Barracks in particular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgkdRiVeaI (8th February Excerpt)