We are happy for this warmly-phrased and unanimously-voted support of our council, and continue our work across our community to enact our shared Community of Sanctuary pledges and aims.
In a Full Council Meeting on December 13 2017, Hastings Borough Council RESOLVED (unanimously) that:
“This council is committed to welcoming asylum seekers and refugees to the Borough of Hastings, and including them in our activities. Hastings Council recognises their potential contribution to our town, and also recognises that a comprehensive, co-ordinated and forward-looking approach is needed if the welfare of people moving into the town, and community cohesion between new and existing communities, are to be supported effectively. To this end, we pledge to:
- Support Hastings bid to become a place of sanctuary;
- Welcome to Hastings and St Leonards those fleeing violence and persecution in their own countries;
- Value the contribution those seeking sanctuary can make to our town;
- Support taking practical steps to welcome and integrate all people into our communities, activities and culture;
- Add our organisation’s name to the body of supporters and we will offer relevant and practical action as appropriate.
This council will work to implement the City of Sanctuary pledges through its actions and policies, and with its partners in the statutory and voluntary sectors.”